I was having an issue loading multiple device tree overlays. I was hoping
that someone could help me or maybe point me to a discussion thread I have
overlooked.

The issue is that I have three device tree overlays that I would like to
manually upload on my beaglebone. However, only the first of the overlays
that I echo to slots will show up on pingroups and be recognized by the
machine.

My device info:

root@arm:/boot/uboot# uname -a
Linux arm 3.8.13-bone40 #1 SMP Fri Jan 31 07:31:37 UTC 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux

This is how my slot configuration appears upon starting. As can be seen
there are 4 overlays that are automatically loaded:

root@arm:/lib/firmware# cat /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.8/slots
 0: 54:PF---
 1: 55:PF---
 2: 56:PF---
 3: 57:PF---
 4: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART2
 6: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART4
 7: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART5
 8: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-SPIDEV1

Using the command below I am able to manually add an overlay. This will be
recognized in the pingroups without issue.

root@arm:/lib/firmware# echo enable-uart3 >
/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.8/slots

How my slots appear after the addition.

 0: 54:PF---
 1: 55:PF---
 2: 56:PF---
 3: 57:PF---
 4: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART2
 6: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART4
 7: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART5
 8: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-SPIDEV1
11: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,enable-uart3

However when I try to add another overlay, it appears in slots but does
have any effect in pingroups. The commands I used are below.

root@arm:/lib/firmware# echo enable-gpio32>
/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.8/slots

root@arm:/boot/uboot# cat /sys/devices/bone_capemgr.8/slots
 0: 54:PF---
 1: 55:PF---
 2: 56:PF---
 3: 57:PF---
 4: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART2
 6: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART4
 7: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-UART5
 8: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,BB-SPIDEV1
11: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,enable-uart3
12: ff:P-O-L Override Board Name,00A0,Override Manuf,enable-gpio32

My third overlay is called enable-dcan1 but it exhibits the same behavior
as above so I will not show the process of adding it.

Initially assumed that I had compiled an overlay incorrectly, but upon
further experimentation I realized that the first overlay was always the
one that got recognized by the machine and the other two were ignored.

A few of my thoughts:

Could the skipping of slots (4-6) and (8-11) be causing some sort of issue.

Is there a maximum number of possible overlays that I have reached which
prevents any more from being recognized.

I would appreciate any help that people can supply.

Thanks,
Tim Rackers