You do use the /var/www directory for apache. The problem, as someone else
mentioned, is that there is another webserver running on it out of the box,
so you need to disable it and the associated mess with systemctl:

systemctl disable cloud9.service
systemctl disable gateone.service
systemctl disable bonescript.service
systemctl disable bonescript.socket
systemctl disable bonescript-autorun.service
systemctl disable avahi-daemon.service
systemctl disable gdm.service
systemctl disable mpd.service

Now we can use the beaglebone more like a headless linux machine. Last time
I played with it, apache was already installed (!) but running on an
alternate port. So lets fix that - open /etc/apache2/ports.conf and change
this:

NameVirtualHost *:8080
Listen 8080

to this:

NameVirtualHost *:80
Listen 80

Save it and restart apache:

apachectl graceful

Then you should see the "It works!" page by navigating to the beaglebone's
IP address. Apache runs just fine on the beaglebone - much faster than the
pentium II that I used to to learned linux on...