On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 7:53 AM, Michael Coulton <mc6...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
> I'm a little confused as to how the SD card , eMMc and the Debian OS work.
> I've recently flashed the eMMc card with the Debian OS. Here's my questions
>
> 1.) what to I do with the SD card? Leave it in the BB or remove it?  If the
> BB is using / booting to the Debian OS (found on the eMMc) then I need to
> expand the partition? to include the SD card? How is this done? Do I need to
> re-format the SD card?

That's a lot of questions for a (1) and they depend on what you are
trying to do. See http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html as
the standard for asking questions on this list.

If you are grabbing images from http://beagleboard.org/latest-images,
then note that there are 2 Debian images, one to flash the eMMC and
one to run off of the microSD card. The only difference between the
two images is a script that runs at startup that copies the contents
of the image onto the eMMC (in the case you are running the flasher
image). If you are using that flasher image, you'd program it onto a
microSD card, insert that card into your BeagleBone Black, power it
up, wait for it to finish flashing, REMOVE it, then repower your
board.

If you are using the non-flasher image, then you'll likely want to
resize the image after booting it. There is a script you can use to
grow the partition size that you run on the active microSD card image:

root@beaglebone:/opt/scripts/tools# md5sum /opt/scripts/tools/grow_partition.sh
1d83ff4a415457592c2815d01cec52a2  /opt/scripts/tools/grow_partition.sh

Just run it then reboot.

> 2.) when I boot into the Debian OS the login prompt appears very briefly
> before I have a black desktop with the "BeagleBone" logo. I can right click
> on the desktop and make some changes but it's not a full desk top
> experience. So ... what am I looking at? I've got the BBB connected to a TV
> via the HDMI port.

Perhaps overscan on your TV is causing the menus to be cut off. See if
your TV has a mode to disable the overscan. I'm still wondering what
the software solution is for this.

> My immediate goal is to install OpenVPN onto a BBB running Debian with a
> static IP address. I don't need a monitor / keyboard + mouse connected to
> the BBB as I plan on SSHing into the unit and using the html interface for
> programming OpenVPN.  Any advice on initially setting up the BBB with an
> imbedded OS and utilizing my 8GB micro SD card would be appreciated.

Editing /etc/network/interfaces didn't work for you?