Discovered that *pvr2d* should be specified as the video driver
<http://mail.directfb.org/pipermail/directfb-dev/2011-March/006105.html>
when building DirectFB. Rebuilding DirectFB with the following:

./configure --with-inputdrivers=none \
        --with-gfxdrivers=pvr2d,gles2 \
        --enable-egl --enable-pvr2d \
        --without-tools --disable-static \
        --prefix=/usr

Below are the options used by DirectFB:

Build options:
  Version                   1.6.3
  Linux powered             yes
  Install prefix            /usr
  Config files in           /usr/etc
  Build shared libs         yes
  Build static libs         no
  Module directory          ${exec_prefix}/lib/directfb-1.6-0
  CPPFLAGS                  -D_REENTRANT
  CFLAGS                    -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes
-Wno-strict-aliasing -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -g2
-ffast-math -pipe  -D_GNU_SOURCE  -std=gnu99
-Werror-implicit-function-declaration
  LDFLAGS
  LIBS                      -ldl -lrt -lpthread
  DYNLIB                    -ldl
  RTLIB                     -lrt
  THREADFLAGS               -D_REENTRANT
  THREADLIB                 -lpthread

Misc options:
  Multi Application Core    no
  Fusion Kernel Device      N/A
  Fusion message size       16384
  Fluxed args size          1024
  One (IPC)                 no
  Voodoo (network support)  no
  Pure Voodoo (net only)    no
  Debug supported           yes
  Debug enabled             no
  Trace support             no
  MMX support               no
  SSE support               no
  Network support           yes
  Include all strings       yes
  Software Rendering        yes
  Smooth SW Scaling         no
  Dithering                 none
  Dithering 565             none
  zlib compression          no
  Using setsockopt          yes

Building Tests              no
Building Tools              no

Building System Modules:
  Linux FBDev support       yes
  Generic /dev/mem support  yes
  Mesa/DRM/KMS support      no
  PVR2D                     yes
  EGL                       no
  X11 support               no
  X11/VDPAU support         no
  OSX support               no
  SDL support               no
  VNC support               no

Building Window Manager Modules:
  Default                   yes
  UniQuE                    no

Building Image Provider Modules:
  GIF                       yes
  JPEG                      yes                 -ljpeg
  PNG                       no
  Imlib2                    no
  PNM                       yes
  SVG                       no
  BMP                       yes
  JPEG2000                  no
  MPEG2                     yes

Building Video Provider Modules:
  GIF                       yes
  Video4Linux               yes (v2: no)
  MNG                       no
  Gstreamer                 no (v1: no)
    with FusionSound        no

Building Font Modules:
  FreeType2                 no
  LinoType                  no
  Default font              yes

Building Graphics Drivers:
  3Dfx Voodoo               no
  ATI Mach64                no
  ATI Rage 128              no
  ATI Radeon                no
  Cirrus EP9X               no
  Intel i810                no
  Intel i830                no
  Matrox                    no
  NeoMagic                  no
  NSC Geode                 no
  nVidia                    no
  PVR2D                     yes
  PXA 3xx                   no
  Renesas SH7722/SH7723     no
  S3 Savage                 no
  SiS 315                   no
  TI Davinci                no
  TI OMAP                   no
  TVIA CyberPro             no
  VIA CLE266                no
  VIA UniChrome             no
  VMWare                    no
  VDPAU                     no
  --
  OpenGL                    no (GLX: no)
  OpenGL ES 2.0             yes (Mesa:  no, PVR2D: yes)

Building Input Drivers:
  DBox2 Remote              no
  DreamBox Remote           no
  Dynapro Touchscreen       no
  ELO Touchscreen           no
  Gunze Touchscreen         no
  H3600 Touchscreen         no
  Input Hub                 no
  Joystick                  no
  Keyboard                  no
  Linux Input               no
  LiRC                      no
  MuTouch touchscreen       no
  Zytronic touchscreen      no
  PS/2 Mouse                no
  Serial Mouse              no
  SonyPI Jogdial            no
  tslib                     no
  ucb1x00 Touchscreen       no
  WM97xx Touchscreen        no

PNG support is missing - many applications won't work correctly!
FreeType2 support is missing - many applications won't work correctly!

Need some help on getting DirectFB to detect the EGL library(?) used by the
system during the configuration process.