Keep in mind I am not all that familiar with Python, but have been
programming in multiple other languages since the 90's. Meaning, I dont
write code in Python, but can usually read through it ok.

Anyhow, according to that post this error is due to namespace resolution.
Meaning . ..

*import serial  *should instead be

*from serial import serial *
The second answer although seemingly rewarded with more votes is FUD, and
would be what I'd consider very bad programming technique.  Never name your
project the same as an already existing module.