Hi,

My name is Fisher, I'm doing a Masters in control system research and need
to choose a controller board for my project.

It will control a 6 wheel car (wild thumper) to keep a rod (inverted
pendulum) upright.

I am looking to understand the BBB in more detail to know if I should
consider it or not.

I will be using the controller board with Simulink from Mathworks in the
same way it can be used with RPi or Arduino.  I hope to control the 6
motors with PWM, read a few voltages with ADC, may be use some I2C and SPI
etc.

The BBB may be a strong choice for me if I can use the 2 x IO processors to
do realtime stuff while the CPU does other things.

I have a few questions, mainly how its used/programmed compared to the
Raspberry Pi as they can both run Debian Linux.

   - Are there BBB python libraries for general things like PWM, ADC, I2C
   and other general IO like in RPi?
   - How different is the BBB to use and program to RPi?
   - The BBB seems to have 2 x IO processors in its  PRU-ICSS, I think they
   are 200MHz each, how easy is it to use them for inputs, outputs and
   calculations separate from the CPU?  Is there a kernel module?
   - The PRU-ICSS does not really seem to be documented except for in a GIT
   project, the documents there seem to have info from Texas instruments (who
   make the CPU) but not official.  Is this subsystem used by others?  How?
   - PWM seems to be 2 types: hi and low resolution, 3 of each to make 6 in
   total.  The hi seems to have 2 outputs per unit, can they have separate
   duty cycles?  I would like to control 6 separate motors.
   - The BBB seems to have an 8 channel, 12 bit ADC
   - Are any issues with the board such as can't use certain IO's at the
   same time, such as using 6 PWM outputs with 2 ADC, I2C or SPI?

Here is the GIT project for the PRU that I have found, Ti seems to refer to
it as well, I think in a forum of theirs.

https://github.com/beagleboard/am335x_pru_package

To my knowledge, the BBB has:

   - 1GHz ARM v8 32 bit CPU from Ti
   - 3D GPU with max 720p through HDMI