I have directly interfaced the BBB with low cost camera modules using a PRU
on the TI AM335x.  I have only tried using the parallel digital video port
(DVP)  type of image sensor interface.  I  used PRU1 since it has a maximum
of 15 input pins available [PRU0 has a maximum of 11 input pins available]
and I wanted to support 10-bit DVP which requires a total of 13 input pins
(10 data out, a pixel clock, a horizontal reference, and a vertical sync).

My design includes provision for a crystal oscillator to clock the image
sensor, but a timer (timer4, timer5, timer6, or timer7) on the AM335x can
be used to supply a clock.

So it is possible to interface directly (without any glue logic).