Do keep in mind that I know nothing of your hardware, and am not exactly a
hardware guy. However, before you start making modifications to anything I
would check to make sure you have power to the cape first. After that, I
would remove your battery cape, and plug your LCD cape( I'm guessing )
directly into your BBB and see if it works that way.

After that I am not exactly sure how I'd proceed, but I may try to find
adapter / extension headers before any thing else.