https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-manage-packages-in-ubuntu-and-debian-with-apt-get-apt-cache

apt-get autoremove is probably what you're after, but you can also apt-get
remove --purge to remove the debs too.

That page seems to be a fairly decent reference for every day APT usage,
however for the BBB avoid apt-get upgrade, and apt-get dist-upgrade.

For more than every day usage , there is a lot to APT. For instance you can
even rate limit downloads via apt, with a few choice flags. Google is your
friend here, and when in doubt . . . well its best to create a Debian VM
and experiment Things for the most part should be the same. Package
availability however will be different. x86 has far more available packages.