On 16/07/14 17:08, geetha wrote:
> I am new to Beaglebone & not too familiar with Linux.
>
> My application requires data to be acquired from a device on SPI &
> transmit it on LAN.
>
> I am using the preloaded Angstrom OS.
>
> I have setup the environment for development by precisely following
>
> http://jkuhlm.bplaced.net/hellobone/
>
> With this platform, I am able to develop application for LAN transmission.
>
> For SPI interface I have followed
>
> http://elinux.org/BeagleBone_Black_Enable_SPIDEV
>
> I have to use SPI0.  I am able to reach properly upto the step of
> compiling & running the spidev_test code.  Following are my questions
>
>  1.        Does the preloaded Angstrom has SPI device built in the
>     kernel or should the kernel be rebuilt by including the spidev.c?

Yes, SPI is included in the Angstrom kernel.

>  2.             Will the gcc libraries compile the SPIdev_test code?  I
>     am getting ‘undefined error for SPI_TX_QUAD’ and many more which I
>     am finding defined in spi.h which is not in gcc include.  Can I
>     simply copy spi.h file into the include directory and compile?

Where did you get spidev.c from? You must use the same source as the
kernel; if you use a newer source it may not compile with the older
version of the kernel you are using.

>  3.            With reference to the below segment in the .dts file,
>     sclk is mentioned as input.  However, I would like BBB to be master
>     to generate clock for the external device.  In such case, should the
>     change the value to 0x10?

No, this a "quirk" with the spi driver, the clock is set as INPUT but it
will also OUTPUT on the pin.

> 4.  fragment@0 {
>
> 5.          target = <&am33xx_pinmux>;
>
> 6.          __overlay__ {
>
> 7.              spi0_pins_s0: spi0_pins_s0 {
>
> 8.                  pinctrl-single,pins = <
>
> 9.                    0x150 0x30  /* spi0_sclk, INPUT_PULLUP | MODE0 */
>
> 10.                    0x154 0x30  /* spi0_d0, INPUT_PULLUP | MODE0 */
>
> 11.                    0x158 0x10  /* spi0_d1, OUTPUT_PULLUP | MODE0 */
>
> 12.                    0x15c 0x10  /* spi0_cs0, OUTPUT_PULLUP | MODE0 */
>
> 13.                  >;
>
> 14.              };
>
> 15.          };
>
> 16.      };
>
> 4.  The pin mapping file shows that the SPI pins are mapped to 84,…..
> How to verify that it has been correctly mapped to the processor pin number.

This data can be found in the am335x TRM; you have to find the pinctrl
register in the TRM and then match the offset 0x150 to the table and
double check that it is SPI.

--
  Jack Mitchell (j...@embed.me.uk)
  Embedded Systems Engineer