We use two BBB's here, and both use 16GB class 10 cards. I've heard that
32GB works too, but no hands on.

AS john said first you want more space( unused, or free space ) on your sd
card to help facilitate wear leveling, *AND* if you're going to be doing
lots of writing for development purposes. Move your rootfs to an NFS share.