I am currently running on an 8GB Class 4 card.
Needed this to fit Debian on a card and still have space left to work with.
These instructions made it easy to flash the card with the 2GB image, then
expand the file system size after the fact.
http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:Expanding_File_System_Partition_On_A_microSD