uboot is supposed to handle serial booting. However, I have no personal
hands on. Just a quick google search showed many results however. One thing
to note is that uboot for the BBB is patched, so possibly different. It
does not however make sense for this feature to be patched out, so I would
assume that it should work.

Sorry for the less than definitive answer, perhaps someone with hands on
will respond. You can however experiment on your own.

http://blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=bootloaders:u-boot:serial_port_loading_files
http://blog.mezeske.com/?p=483

$ apt-cache search ckermit
ckermit - serial and network communications package

Second link package mentioned is available, so looks to be possible.