As for myself, the only compatible UART device I have is an MSP430 v1.5
launchpad. It works fine once the kernel starts loading, but since max baud
is 9600 bps, it does not pick up uboot messages which I assume only works
at 115200 bps.

Having a debug console adapter is definitely a plus, and is very useful in
this case. But it is not impossible to troubleshoot problems of this nature
if you know exactly what you've done.