BeagleBone Black System Reference Manual Rev C page 113| (in bright red
font):

"There are several precautions that need to me taken when working with the
expansion
headers to prevent damage to the board.
1) Do not apply any voltages to any I/O pins when the board is not powered
on.
2) Do not drive any external signals into the I/O pins until after the
VDD_3V3B rail is up.
3) Do not apply any voltages that are generated from external sources.
4) If voltages are generated from the VDD_5V signal, those supplies must
not become
active until after the VDD_3V3B rail is up.
5) If you are applying signals from other boards into the expansion
headers, make sure
you power the board up after you power up the BeagleBone Black or make the
connections after power is applied on both boards.
Powering the processor via its I/O pins can cause damage to the processor."

Those kind of assumptions might kill your board.

LP