As has been mentioned, while it was developed as a community supported
platform, the BeagleBone can be used for any application you choose. For a
time, there was a lack of sufficient supply to meet the demands of larger
scale projects, but that is generally no longer the case. The topic of
utilizing BBB for industrial applications is explored further here
-
http://www.logicsupply.com/blog/2014/05/15/new-embest-board-opens-door-for-beaglebone-black-projects/

As for industrial projects that do not require graphical interface, we're
currently working with a number of clients developing embedded solutions
based on the BBB. We've outlined the basic building blocks for many of the
type of projects we're seeing being developed on our BeagleBone resource
site Inspire
-
http://www.logicsupply.com/blog/2014/07/29/whats-new-inspire-latest-beaglebone-black-projects/

I hope your project has taken off in the last year.