From:  <neo...@gmail.com>
Date:  Wednesday, July 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM
To:  "beagleboard@googlegroups.com" <beagleboard@googlegroups.com>
Subject:  Re: [beagleboard] Re: RIP Never Used BBB

> I wasn't saying make it bullet proof, just some simple goof proofs. Like on
> the 5v plug, that kind of thing. I get the whole cost thing and by and large
> agree.
>
> I'm sure to try and cover everything would cost a bit, Not sure why anyone
> would be putting 220v to the 5v plug, but i could understand reverse polarity
> on the 5v plug. Not sure it needs to be gone to the extreme.
>
> How hard/costly is it to fix something like reverse polarity or blown gpio? if
> repairs are easy enough, perhaps protection isn't worth it.
Think economics and not technical. Since there were very few returns because
of reverse polarity, it isnĀ¹t cost effective to add the protection to each
board. For example, circuitco has shipped 177,000 BBB multiplied by $10
protection is $1,770,000. Less than 20 returned because of reverse polarity
at $55 each is $1,100. The solution is obvious. Gerald is very smart and he
knows what he is doing ;-) Users just need to be more careful.

Regards,
John