root@beaglebone:~# du -h /opt/cloud9/
58M     /opt/cloud9/

root@beaglebone:~# du -h /var/lib/cloud9/
53M     /var/lib/cloud9/

So this is a guess on my behalf but I'm betting a good bet. /opt/ is where
the git was pulled to, and /var/lib is where it is run from. Opening cloud9
in the browser, and looking at the command prompt seems to confirm this.

So, if dpkg, and APT both have no clue about this, and you've disabled the
service. I personally see no harm in using rm. I even ran "whereis cloud9"
and nothing . . .

What all are you running that requires 1.7G space on the eMMC ?