From: beagleboard@googlegroups.com [mailto:beagleboard@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of William Hermans
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 10:13 PM
To: beagleboard@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Yet another newbie "how to get started"

It will take days or weeks to learn the tools to develop a 10 minute program.
This is how I debugged in the 1980's.  There has got to be a better environment
than this.

This is not the fault of the hardware or the designers of the hardware. This is
your fault for not knowing the tools. Harsh as it may seem, this is a fact.
This is why professional software engineers with the skills to setup / use said
tools get paid big money.

I currently develop under QNX Momentics and TI Code Composer.  They are both
Eclipse based.  Code Composer requires a JTAG module, but QNX uses the GNU
Cross Compiler and GNU Debug for program development.  Editing and compiling is
done on the PC, and for debugging, it copies my executable to the target system
and runs it under the debugger using the UI for setting breakpoints,
single-stepping viewing registers and variable, etc.

This is possible for this hardware as well. All aspects.

So, now my question.  Is there a easy to use, Windows, graphical integrated
development environment for developing native Angstrom Linux programs for this
board?

There are many ways to set this up, and you will most certainly have to set it
up yourself. There is no easy to download /install application that will do
this for you.

Do also note that on the BBB Angstrom for the most part is depreciated. I would
recommend moving to Debian, and various images exist( listed on beagleboard.org
).