In the BBB System Reference Manual the P8 and P9 pinouts are
documented with 7 modes for each pin which provide different uses for
the pins.

All of the actual software and descriptions I can find about the BBB
hardware just talk about the Device Tree and Device Tree overlays.  I
have already (sort) begun to understand the Device Tree system and I
have actually done a (trivial) recompile of the Device Tree to change
one of the I2C clock frequencies.

Do the modes in the manual have any relevance at all now?  I.e. can I
actually start the system in a specified mode?  Or are they just
history, or what?

--
Chris Green
ยท