It really depends on what you are trying to do.  The nice thing about
Zigbee is that you can configure the modems and then sit back and let the
network form, heal, etc. without any work on your part.  If you are only
interested in communications between nodes then Zigbee is a great choice
unless you need high speeds (250kbps is typical max speed).  This book
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596807740.do has lots of good info on
Xbee/Zigbee (most of which is in my book) and is geared more toward Arduino.

A tip on my book: Syngress currently has a deal where you can buy the print
book and get a DRM-free eBook for free till October 9 at
http://store.elsevier.com/product.jsp?isbn=9780128007518.  Be sure to add
both to your shopping cart to get the free eBook.  The deal code is BOGO.