I measured the current (DC jack powered) my BBB (rev C, kernel v3.16.3)
draws at idle: ~200mA. Then I issued a *poweroff* (or *shutdown now*)
command, and after the system had halted I measured current draw at ~240mA.
This is a bare BBB with nothing attached (besides the serial debug cable).
This isn't what I expected to happen.

Holding the power button for 8 seconds does power off the BBB (<1mA).
However, I find the method of "hold for >=8 seconds, but not >=8.5 seconds
or else it power cycles" to be kind of user-unfriendly. Is there a way to
programmatically put the BBB into the same state as holding the power
button for 8 seconds?

I've done a bit of searching and it looks like there were problems (from
earlier in the year) with the PMIC/RTC and bringing the board down to a
low-power state from software alone. I just wanted to ask if those problems
had been resolved.

I tried doing a *echo mem > /sys/power/state* which returned Invalid
argument. Note that I'd like to try both methods: software command the BBB
to power down as if the power button had been held for 8 seconds, as well
as a memory-saving/restoring state.