Ok, I figured this all out. There is no filling up of the disk from the
operating system. My method of investigating was causing the problem. I
started with a real disk use issue in my own software that I fixed. Then I
noticed a remaining and much slower disk use that turned out to be caused
by the way I was looking into the problem. No, I wasn't logging to the
beaglebone itself, I was logging data to another machine, but .... poorly.

Both bone67 and bone50 are fine.

Feel free to delete my comments about this non issue.

Thanks again for your time and for showing me how to upgrade the kernel.

James