It's a nice idea.  I wonder if it would make getting access to the GPIO
ports difficult though.  I suppose it depends on what you are using the BBB
for.

You might consider something like this to bring the USB port to the front
panel:  https://www.adafruit.com/product/908

I'm using one for a robotics project and it works fine.