Hi,

regarding the LAN8710A [0] Ethernet transceiver used on the BBB, I'd
like to know whether it is isolated or not?

According to the datasheet [0, Page 41] , it has an "Isolate Mode" hat
is /disabled/ by default.

In my application I use a normal pin header instead of RJ45, so in
principle a user could short-circuit them or apply extraordinary high or
reverse voltages...
Is it therefore safe to use the BBB as is, or would I need to add an
isolator or optocoupler?
If used as is, what could possibly be damaged? If just the PHY blows up,
it would be fine. A short-circuit of the voltage regulators, or a reset
of the processor and the like I consider as "bad".

~flapflap

[0] http://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/Devices.aspx?product=LAN8710A