Thanks Brandon.  Alas, the path used in the c_adc.c software just doesn't
seem to exist in the Debian I'm using -- one of the big sources of
confusion for me.  I'm starting to think the only solution is to try to dig
into the kernel source as Joshua suggests -- but that sounds like it might
take more years than I have left :-)