Hello Chris,

I am sorry for the confusion. Let me explain the setup and then elaborate
the problem.

So I have two XBEE/Zigbee devices. One of them is connected to BBB UART1.
The other is connected to my PC.
On BBB side, I use picocom terminal to transmit data. On PC side, I have
the X-CTU GUI provided by XBEE to send data/monitor received data.

Now, when I transmit from BBB using picocom, I can see the data being
properly received by PC side XBEE.
However, when the PC side XBEE transmits data, it receives back the same
data after transmission. This is because, for some reason, the BBB on
receiving a byte transmits (echoes) back the same byte.

Now coming to ssty, I believe the '-echo' option with BBB shall only
prevent any character that I type on picocom terminal from "appearing"
there on the terminal screen.