I watched and went through 3 tutorials for setting up a web server to
control BBB GPIO and even went through the Simon Monk book and downloaded
this simple IO example

Here are 3 of the examples I have tried:

Beaglebone and Websockets, a full example that turn on/off a led

http://isolasoftware.it/2012/04/23/beaglebone-and-websockets-a-full-example-that-turn-onoff-a-led/

BoneScript SocketIO Example

https://github.com/lgxlogic/BoneScript-SocketIO

>From the Simon Monk book use 09_01_led_control.html
and 09_01_led_control_server.js

https://github.com/simonmonk/prog_bbb/find/master

None of these examples work on my BBB.   I can control hardware/GPIO using
Javascript through Cloud9 or python running directly on the BBB but cannot
get it to change an IO through an HTML web app as are shown in these
tutorials.   And the only way javascript actually ran until I turned off
the debugger was to drag and drop it into the autorun folder otherwise they
will not run with the debugger on through the cloud9 interface.

 When I served up the jQuery/Flot examples on the BBB through a browser at
least they seem to work I do not have a bacon cape I have my own custom
cape.  For now I would like to control only 3 GPIO on the beaglebone
through a web page.  So far I can only do it through directly running Py or
JS.    I do get this error,  I will eventually need to read/write the UART
but I will worry about that once I get the simple GPIO working.

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not
found)

Which is weird since the "livecss.js" line is not even in the HTML as far
as I can see

I did install socket IO and had to change the src line to this(Specific
directory link) in order to get it to NOT give an error. Errors are using
Chrome debugger.   (CTRL-SFT-J)

  <script
src="http://192.168.7.2:3000/preview/node_modules/socket.io/node_modules/socket.io-client/socket.io.js";>

</script>

the first error happens right after the line

var socket = io.connect();

Uncaught ReferenceError: io is not defined.

Then I get an error whenever a button is pushed which is

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'emit' of undefined

Any suggestions or recommendations?  I am a hardware engineer trying to
learn software to develop code to control a Beaglebone based product I
designed.   I need to develop remote menus that run on PC, Cell Phone,
tablets etc. and after watching these videos/tutorials it seem like using
HTML/JS through the server is the way to go.   The other option is to add
an LCD and develop a Menu through that and do the Server HTML menus later
but that adds the LCD acquisition/development,/test to the equation right
now, and I want to put that off until we get the system working.  I have
designed simulated and tested all of the pieces of hardware with simple
Python programs but I need to develop an interactive menu based approach so
the consumer can control the product.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.