@William: you speak as if I was a newcomer to Linux. Truth is, I was one of
the first to embrace Linux back in the 80s when I worked in Computer
Services at the local University. I replaced several Windoze servers with
Linux Servers and built Linux-based 'internet appliances' as we called them
back then. I've probably forgotten more than most younger folks have
figured out yet. So, please save your 'lecturing' for another time and
place and let all of us here who are obviously less enlightened than
yourself continue to figure out the reboot issue. Sharing our experiences
(even if they are silly noob mistakes) all has merit in forming a picture
of the issue that we as a group can evaluate and perhaps discover a
solution. That's one of the great things about discussion forums such as
this.