Hello,

This Ethernet trouble also happens with my BeagleBone Black boards, quite
frequently on Rev C (PCB Rev B6), and very rarely on Rev A6 (PCB Rev B5). I
tried various Linux kernels, including the latest one from here
<https://eewiki.net/display/linuxonarm/BeagleBone+Black> (3.8.13-bone67),
however that keeps happening anyway.

I read section 3.7 of the LAN8710A data sheet
<http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/8710a.pdf> (Configuration
Straps) and I agree with Loren Amelang: the trouble may be really caused by
incorrect strap values, which depend on voltage levels at the respective
LAN8710A pins during reset.

That assumption is backed by the observation that, whenever the "eth0: link
not ready" thing happens, either both LEDs of the Ethernet Connector are
off or only the yellow one (LED2) is off (and the green one is not blinking
in both cases). Since these LEDs reflect the transceiver mode of operation,
which is controlled by MODE[2:0] configuration straps, their strange
behavior may indicate some wrong bit values loaded to MODE[2:0]. They are
loaded when nRST pin is deasserted, and the timing is critical, according
to subsection 5.5.3 of that data sheet (Power-On nRST & Configuration Strap
Timing).

Also, according to the subsection mentioned above, the time interval
between when external power supplies reach 80% and nRST pin is deasserted
must be no less than 25 ms. Without the capacitor C24 on the board, that
time is around 20 ms, I measured that. So, removing C24 does not seem to be
safe.

Alex