On Monday, December 1, 2014 10:44:18 AM UTC-6, mikegr...@gmail.com wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I've just started out with the BBB, and am basically wanting to use it
> initially, to gather data on temperature and humidity both inside and
> outside my property (sensor in each room + 1 outside). Obviously there are
> going to be quite a few sensors, is it possible to get all these up and
> running at the same time? I know there are lots of GPIO connectors on the
> BBB, but only a few voltage connectors, how do I go about splitting these?
>
> Also, would it be possible to wire up the sensors using alarm cable? They
> will be quite far from the controller in some instances.

One thing to worry about is lightning!  I have such a system built with
VERY OLD technology, which is probably much more resistant to damage, but
have had parts of it blown out at times by thunderstorms.  i have one
sensor just outside the wall of the house for outside temperature.  I use
the Analog Devices AD590 series, which is a current proportional sensor.
The current through the sensor is 1 uA per degree K.  Alarm wire is fine,
especially with a current sensor, as noise will largely be cancelled out.
But, you need a signal conditioner to bias the detector and convert current
to voltage.  A simple op-amp circuit can do this.  I use a pretty fancy
humidity sensor that needs signal conditioning by an exotic AD part, but it
gives very good results.  Calibrating a humidity sensor is a lot harder
than a temperature sensor.

Jon