Come to think of it I did run into this problem once a long time ago, and
for me

*$ sudo apt-get update*
fixed the problem for me personally. A rookie mistake I made in a hurry
while trying to install packages without updating after a fresh install as
I recall.

I'd hesitate deleting the apt-lock file as this may be in place
intentionally to avoid problematic packages. In this case I'd wait for
input from Robert first.