thanks, william.  I first went an easier route.  I did create a 16MB random
file on the host desktop, and rcp'ed it to a ramdisk on the BBB over usb.
 I am getting about 4MB/sec.  then I went the iperf route.  your memory was
excellent, except the -C switch for the client is -c.  this also reports a
bandwidth of about 30 Mbaud.

so, on my simple experiments (linux metal desktop, bbb rev c usb), here are
my transfer speed comparisons (all in MBaud = MBit/s):

    serial over usb  :  < 10
    mass storage over usb : ~ 20
    ethernet over usb : ~ 30-40

    theoretical usb speed : ~ 480

    local eMMC speed : ~ 70

I wonder if I can figure out how to send raw messages over USB with
usb_bulk_msg() on the host without a higher level protocol (ethernet, usb
mass storage, serial).  has anyone written already a simple "echo" script
for the BBB that just responds to usb_bulk_msg requests and prints summary
info on the console?