I recently tried running some OpenCV code that works fine independently but
crashes with a "select timeout" error when I try running it while I have my
mini wifi module from Adafruit plugged in to provide wireless access via an
AP network. Both the camera and the wifi module are plugged into a usb hub.
I've done some research online and it sounds like the Bone's USB DMA
support might not be up to the task. I've read about using other kernels
and was wondering what was built into this image.

I also read another post about including
NEON:
http://blog.lemoneerlabs.com/3rdParty/Darling_BBB_30fps_DRAFT.html#x1-6000doc

Is that optimization already built into this image?

Anyone have any other ideas for getting the Beaglebone to handle both a
cheap USB camera and WiFi module, or is this something that would be better
handled by the Raspberry Pi B+? I like controlling motors directly from the
bone with the handful of PWM pins it sports, but wireless debugging is a
little higher on my priority list so I can move to a Pi and an Arduino if
necessary.