Thanks for response.  I'm embarrassed to say I had not prepared the SD card
correctly.  The instructions on elinux.org for rpi helped me.

The image, BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-jessie-lxqt-armhf-2014-12-19-2gb.img,
installed without any help from me as the uEnv.txt edits were automated.

There is still a complaint in the syslog about the file system which I had
better chase down, but I have a working Jessie image on the BBB.