Sorry for the late reply, I'm sorting through queued mail from the holidays.

On 12/19/2014 5:42 AM, Vernon Tindell wrote:
> /etc/network/interfaces...
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> hwaddress ether DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE
>
> Again, with 5-14-2-14 image, this would cause eth0 to fail to initialize.
>  With 3.8.13-bone68, it seems to have no effect.  Eth0 starts up fine but
> has the same MAC address as before editing the interfaces file.

What OS are you running, and where did you get your boards?

IIRC, the MAC address is pulled from the on-board EEPROM and written to
the PHY by U-Boot.  If your EEPROMs all have the same data (I think this
happened with some clone boards) or your boot loader isn't properly
setup, you could see identical MAC addresses.

I have had no issues with a large number of (Circutco) built BeagleBone
boards here.  I usually have 3 or 4 online at any given time, and each
one has a unique MAC.

I also don't believe the Linux driver for the on-chip Ethernet supports
modifying the MAC address, so setting this in /etc/network/interfaces
(or otherwise using standard networking commands like "ip link set")
isn't an option.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
char...@steinkuehler.net