Yeah - it worked pretty well for my application. I needed low latency, low
bandwidth with 640x480 resolution - beagleboard worked well for this. I
dont think beaglebone would work well here since it does not have a dsp
processor. not sure about other platforms and what people have done.  I was
generally impressed with the amount of open source tools and support
provided by TI in regards to gstreamer support. Good luck!