On Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 5:16:51 PM UTC-5, AK@hobbyist wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am new to Beagleboen black and am trying to set up a WiFi hotpspot on
> Beagleboe Black using the USB adapters with RTL8188CUS chipset. I am not
> able to create it. If somebody has done ti please let me know. Thanks!!!!

I have successfully set up my beaglebone black as an access point using a
USB wifi adapter with the RTL8188CUS chipset. Here are the details:

Hardware:
Beaglebone Black rev C
LB link wireless usb adapter
(http://chicagodist.com/products/long-range-wifi-usb-with-antenna-for-raspberry-pi)

Bone Software:
Debian GNU/Linux 7
Kernel - Linux beaglebone 3.8.13-bone69
manually built rtl8188CUS device driver, 8192cu.ko (from sources at
https://github.com/mcantarutti/ShopBot-API/tree/master/Arch_linux_config/rtl8188CUS-driver-beaglebone)
hostapd

Procedure:
The stock 8192cu driver worked as a client, but could not be setup as an
access point.  Apparently the stock 8192cu driver does not have nl80211
support, which I believe is needed for access point functionality.  I
obtained the driver source from
https://github.com/jlucidar/FabMo-Platform/tree/master/Arch_linux_config/rtl8188CUS-driver-beaglebone.

This source has nl80211 support.  I compiled the module from source and
then replaced the stock 8192cu.ko file.  At the next boot hostapd
successfully set up wlan0 as an access point.  As a bonus, the new version
of the driver has concurrence enabled.  With this function, the 8192cu
driver creates two wifi interfaces, wlan0 and wlan1.  I can use each of
these wifi interfaces independently.

frank agius