On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 10:33 AM,  <wln...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am fairly new at this, so my apologies if this is a trivial question. We
> have a copy of beaglebone black on our board. Changes are 1G DDR3 instead of
> BBB 512MB and 16GB of eMMC.
>
> First issue was our EEPROM was blank so it would not boot. Learned there is
> some pinmuxing that takes place from the information in the EEPROM that was
> necesary.
>
> Replacing the blank EEPROM with a BBB EEPROM allows us to boot off the SD
> card with following two issues (so far):
> 1) NAND: There is no NAND device found

Did you actually install NAND to the board?

eMMC is not NAND (as it has physcall NAND controller and interfaces to
the device over the mmc interface)

> 2) libphy: PHY 4a101000.mdio:01 not found
>     net eth0: phy 4a101000.mdio:01 not found on slave 1

What about mdio:00?  There is two phy's on the am335x.

> When I power up the BBB that we "borrowed" the EEPROM from which has a blank
> EEPROM now, I get exactly the same two issues to show up.
>
> So the question is what do we need to program into the EEPROM of our board
> to get it to properly boot?
> And what is the best way to accomplish this? Does EEPROM have to be
> programmed before soldering to the board? or is it possible to halt u-boot
> and run some commands from there?

The production images are done with a blank eeprom, using this flasher script:

http://rcn-ee.net/rootfs/bb.org/testing/2015-01-19/lxde-4gb/BBB-blank-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.8-lxde-4gb-armhf-2015-01-19-4gb.img.xz

Then by grounding test point 4.

That image includes a build of u-boot with this patch:

https://github.com/RobertCNelson/Bootloader-Builder/blob/master/patches/v2015.01/0002-NFM-Production-eeprom-assume-device-is-BeagleBone-Bl.patch

to bypass eeprom check (and assume it's a bbb)

Robert Nelson
http://www.rcn-ee.com/