Thanks for the pointer. The drive was spinning up OK; a bit of not reading well on my part. The problem was that I hadn't installed ntfs-3g. I had read in the docs that ntfs was installed in ubuntu by default so I hadn't installed it. Turns out they are not the same thing. One note, when I installed ntfs-3g there were many error messages, several of which said that they were fatal. However, I was able to mount the drive anyway and it seems to work.

On 01/24/2015 08:09 PM, John Syn wrote:

From: wjr <w...@ksu.edu <mailto:w...@ksu.edu>>
Date: Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 5:42 PM
To: "beagleboard@googlegroups.com <mailto:beagleboard@googlegroups.com>" <beagleboard@googlegroups.com <mailto:beagleboard@googlegroups.com>>
Subject: [beagleboard] BBB does not recognize usb3 seagate 5TB drive

    I'm wanting to use a BBB as a backup server for a cloud-based
    mysqld. I'm running ubuntu 13.10 and I got a Seagate 5TB usb3 ntfs
    expansion drive. I'm using it with my desktop that runs centos and
    everything's OK. But when I tried moving the drive to the BBB, it
    simply does not recognize it, i.e. "ls /dev" shows no difference
    before and after I plug it in. I'm so used to things like this
    just working that I'm really not sure where to start.

After you insert your drive, what errors do you see when you run the command dmesg?

Regards,
John

    Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
    send an email to beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group. To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/beagleboard/nZ75IuaSlDE/unsubscribe. To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:beagleboard+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.