http://beagleboard.org/getting-started.  I was happy to see, the
programs on the website worked just fine on my board. Thus, I was able
to conclude that strangely, my BBB board didn't like 5V external power
source!

The BeagleBone Black & BlueSteel Basic seem to be extremely sensitive to the rise time of the 5V power supply at startup.

1 ms or longer is a problem, and it is not at all unusual for power supply to be slower than this.

200 us is reliable.

See also:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/beagleboard/aXv6An1xfqI/Vy9JxPRvIPwJ

The original BeagleBone White, for whatever reason, did not have this issue. (Anyone know why?)

I feed my raw power in through a voltage-controlled solid state relay circuit, and I get 100% reliable startups now.

- Mike