Friends... I'm also new to Linux/Beagle and I'm breaking my head trying to
do the same thing. I will share my progress.

I realize that there are multiple ways to change the pin mux. You can do it
via Linux kernel mode or from u-boot. I chose to rebuild the u-boot.

I downloaded the TI SDK ti-sdk-beagleboard-06.00.00.00-Linux-x86-Install.bin
<http://software-dl.ti.com/sitara_linux/esd/BeagleBoardSDK/latest/exports/ti-sdk-beagleboard-06.00.00.00-Linux-x86-Install.bin>

from
http://software-dl.ti.com/sitara_linux/esd/BeagleBoardSDK/latest/index_FDS.html
It contains the u-boot source, among other (helpful) things.

I used the Ti's Pin Mux Utility to create mux.h and pinmux.h w/ my required
mux settings.

PROBLEM: instructions on TI's site to replace the #define MUX_EVM() in
evm.h are INCORRECT. If you're working w/ the beagle board you need to
change a different file. Rename the macro in pinmux.h to MUX_BEAGLE() and
replace #define MUX_BEAGLE() in /board/ti/beagle.h w/ include "pinmux.h".
Of course, you have to move the pinmux.h to same location.

I've gone this far. It's still not compiling b/c some defines are missing.
I hope this helps you. Feel free to comment. You may call me if you need
better explanation. ask.