I think that the issue stems from older versions of debian based linux and
the newer version that use a device tree.

If the echo statement fails then:

To enable the I2c-1 on the BeagleBone Black Rev A, B and C:

   1. Rev A/B: Open the file /media/BEAGLEBONE/uEnv.txt in an editor
   (vim/nano)
   2. Rec C: Open the file /boot/uboot/uEnv.txt in an editor (vim/nano)
   3. Add the key "capemgr.enable_partno="
   4. Add the ports you want to enable, comma separated (BB-I2C0, BB-I2C1,
   etc)
   5. Reboot

An example line looks like this:
root@beaglebone:/dev# cat /media/BEAGLEBONE/uEnv.txt
optargs=quiet drm.debug=7 capemgr.enable_partno=BB-I2C1