I did this setup with an LED strip, MOSFETs, and a separate 12V power
supply: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69691&p=353076
See 5 posts down of a picture.

This setup has apparently fried 2 of my Beaglebones.
I tested the gate pins on the MOSFETs (which were the only thing connected
to the Bone) and they were only reading about 200mA.

The Adafruit customer support says they don't think this would be capable
of frying the board.

I've been searching trying to see if somehow this tripped a fuse or
something on the Bone.

One of my Bones the power light comes on, but it won't boot (Rev B). On the
other (Rev C), the power light flickers and then goes off and nothing
happens.

Any ideas?