I wired up a circuit with an LED strip, 3 N-channel MOSFETs, and a separate
12V power supply, with the gate pins on the MOSFETS connected to I/O pins
on the Beaglebone.

When I didn't connect the circuit to the Bone ground, I apparently fried 2
boards. Neither will boot up. One gives a flicker on the power light and
then goes off, and on the other the power light turns on, but the other
LEDs don't flash and I can't get into either board.

Here is the thread on the Adafruit forum with a photo of the circuit:
http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=69691&p=353330&sid=eff0f5bd69bba9338e6f0ec2d7fa70c4#p353330
*The Adafruit support said that setup should not have hurt the board. *

I checked the voltage on the gate pin on each MOSFET that was connected to
the Bone and it was nominal (~200mA).

Does anyone have any ideas on this? How could this have fried 2 boards?

Thanks for any help.

And PS I posted this earlier today but didn't see it show up in the forum.
Sorry if it needed to be approved and you are getting a duplicate.