I've decided to put the BBB to use as a home media server instead of
leaving my pc on all the time. I put the latest Debian flashable image on a
microSD, held down the button, installed the image on the flash, removed
the microSD, plugged in the wifi usb module. Got it working, updated the OS
but the wifi stops on a reboot. I have to manually bring it up by:  ifup
wlan0
Adafruit has a tutorial
at: https://learn.adafruit.com/setting-up-wifi-with-beaglebone-black/overview
but it's a no go because uEnv.txt is not there anymore.