Hi,
I am facing same problem in serial communication.
I am communicating with other device using UART -4 port on BBB (Debian
operating system, with latest release of 2014-05-14).
UART 4 port was enabled from uEnv.txt. Baud rate is set to 57600.
Hardware used is standard one, suggested on BBB webpage. When communicated
through PC, other device communicates well and there is no problem in
communication. But when BBB is used, communication breaks intermittently.
Since code is written in a continuous loop, communication gets
re-established after few cycles.
Priority of working software was also changed to highest level, but nothing
worked.

Same procedure was followed for different baud rates and on UART -2. But
problem still exists.

Can you suggest some ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks
Kaubha