I tried to install this last night.  It seemed to work for a while.  I went
away while it was installing and when I came back the leds were flashing,
1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 ...  repeat.  and the display had something like [
,     ] .  I let it run all night, i don't know how long it is supposed to
take.

I am not sure if I didn't do something I should have, I held the boot
button down on power up until all leds were on then let the button go.  I
installed this image:

BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-jessie-lxqt-armhf-2015-03-08-2gb.img.xz