What I am trying to accomplish is to run a single java application on the
beaglebone.  The java application extends JFrame so it needs a minimal
window environment.  The application also uses sqlite database.

What I would really like is for the OS on the beaglebone to be able to
access a mounted file system on the microsd card.  All that I have read so
far tells mewhen the  beaglebone is loaded from the eMMC then the os
can't/won't use the microsd card.  In order to have enough storage to run
the minimal windowed environment, I assume it to be LXDE, the beaglebone
will have to reside on the sd card.  Is this correct, or do I have to read
more?