It is a boot order problem.
I reported it a month ago, or so.

Debian is trying to start WiFi before the USB interface is fully up,
therefore it fails.

If you wait until after the USB interface is fully up and running, you can
manually start the WiFi.

Or, write a systemd service to start it automatically.  I found waiting
until 30 seconds after
the start of boot worked fine, to have systemd start WiFi successfully.

--- Graham

==